Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Thoughts from the Appalachian Mountains

While I only have been in West Virginia for 7 weeks I only have three weeks left. This summer has brought a lot of things to light in my life. I have never felt like I learned so much in such a short time before this summer. I have learned what relationships can do to your faith walk and how vulnerability is one of God's tools in working through one person to get to another person. I have never felt so much joy in listening to what God wants me to do even though it does not make sense to me all the time. I am not perfect and I know that I make mistakes and that I will continue to make mistakes but I am excited to see how God is going to use those mistakes and sins to further his story in my life and have me pour my experiences and lessons into someone else's life. A couple verses that have been prominent in my mind this summer include:

1 John 4:4---You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world. 

This verse continually reminds me that whatever I am afraid of in the world is foolish because God has already been there and he is with me every step of the way. God has overcome every sin. God has already overcome Satan. So, the question I keep asking myself is what can I not do? God gives us the strength and power to do whatever he calls.

Discussing the calling of God in our lives brings me to another thought that I have had this summer. There is a quote and a verse that I remind myself almost daily. 
"God does not call the equipped, he equips the called."

Romans 12:6-8---We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith; if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully.

I just have realized that through this summer I have different gifts than others might have and that is the joy of working with others. Your gift might be a struggle for someone else while your struggle might be a gift of someone else. When you work together and combine gifts to bring God honor and glory one would be amazed at the things that are accomplished and the love that is produced from working together for God. It also brings to light that God will call us to do different things and if we feel like we are not equipped--we are wrong. If we do what God calls us to do and ask him for his power to work through us then he will give us the words, the power to advance his kingdom and share his love everywhere. 

Well, these are just major things that I have been processing and now I wanted to share them with you. I know that I have a lot more to learn but I just feel so incredibly blessed by God by what he has done in my this summer and all the opportunities and experiences he has given me to grow. 

Until another time. Lisa.

No comments:

Post a Comment